Saturday, September 3, 2011

Comedy night done right


“Zerts are what I call desserts. Tray-trays are entrees. I call sandwiches sammies, sandoozles, or Adam Sandlers. Air conditioners are cool-blasterz, with a z. I don’t know where that came from. I call cakes big ol’ cookies. I call noodles long-ass rice. Fried chicken is fri-fri chicky-chick. Chicken parm is chicky chicky parm parm. Chicken cacciatore? Chicky catch. I call eggs pre-birds, or future birds. Root beer is super water. Tortillas are bean blankies. And I call forks … Food rakes.” – Tom Havertford, Parks and Recreation (This doesn’t feel right, watch the clip too and its like 10 times better.)

“Shark farts,” – Liz Lemon, 30 Rock (probably laughed the most, always better heard though.)

Anything Abed from Community is worth watching. He has the best quotes.


I thought I would first start today’s blog with a mention of my favorite quote from each one of the shows I will be discussing today. Last week I talked about CBS and ABC, today is focused on NBC television, which basically means all the comedy shows you can think of considering that is their strong suit. There is no doubt that these are the funniest shows on television, especially with 30 Rock winning three consecutive Emmy’s. Now Parks and Rec is nominated for an Emmy (man do I want them to win) and Community is one of the top snubs on TV. So without further ado, I will start from least liked to most liked (but note that I love all three very  much).

Community
The first time I watched Community was the day I finished my first final exams fall semester freshman year of college. I wanted to watch something fun and silly. I heard the buzz around Community and thought I would watch the first episode. I will say I laughed, but definitely wasn’t hooked. I later revisited the show that summer when I acquired the entire first season from a friend’s hard drive. I pretty much watched the first season in about a day. It was so addicting, funny and quirky humor. Not to mention Annie’s craziness, Abed’s knowledge of films and television (reminds me of someone, cough cough) and Jeff’s cockiness yet good heart. The great thing about this show though, is that it is really about nothing. Yes, they are at community college, but for some reason each episode just has no purpose. It’s awesome. Not to mention you can’t get any better than those paint ball episodes. If you watch one Community episode watch the paint ball ones (the season finales for both seasons).

Parks and Recreation
I am so thrilled I watched this show over winter break this past year. Both seasons were on Netflix, and then the third started in February. I didn’t have to wait long till the awesomeness continued. This summer has been brutal without it, I’ve actually watched reruns because they never get old. The reason Parks works so well is because they completely changed their focus. The first season (which is only like six episodes) had a big Office feel. Amy Poehler’s Leslie Knope was extremely similar. But when the show returned for season two and three, it has a completely different feel. Ron Swanson is hilarious, Tom is an idiot but yet the source of comedy, Ann is the smart normal person, and Leslie is well Amy Poehler. There is no doubt Poehler is the reason I come back every week. There are multiple things that would make me come back, but for some reason Poehler’s timing, facial expressions and the writing for her character make me want to watch every week. Almost becoming my favorite comedy.

30 Rock
Well, Parks isn’t my favorite because this awesome show is still on the air. Disappointingly, it will not return until midseason this year because Tina Fey had her baby (it was a girl, her name is Athena Penelope for those wondering, and I know you were). So I will count of Parks and Community, along with How I Met Your Mother to make me laugh this fall. There is no doubt I will miss this brilliantly written show. I have already discussed in an earlier blog why I love this show so much, but there is one thing that keeps me coming back and even watching reruns. There is always a new joke that I missed the first time around. I have probably seen the pilot around five times and every time there is a joke I missed and didn’t hear or understand the first time. That is due to the fact of witty comments, the fast-talking and sometimes me just focused on what is happening then what they’re saying. That is why this show wins; no matter how many times I see an episode, it never gets old.

With that I give you some side notes:
To keep with the comedy focus, Community Executive Producer said that Annie and Jeff will get some much needed romance. I will say that last season was lacking some good romance so it’s nice to hear something on the love front will happen this season.
2. New photos of Glee were released and it makes me very excited for this season. I have expressed my worries that this season will fall in the trap of what season 2 fell into. Although these photos don’t really give anything away they are fun to look at.
3. To stay with the photo theme and in fact a little preview of next weeks blog. Photos were released for Fringe, and I hope with all my heart that there is at least one person who reads this blog that watches Fringe. If you haven't, maybe these photos will encourage you. Man am I excited for that show to start.

With that I say... Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment