Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Not what you would expect

While sitting around thinking about the different sports topics I could blog about, my mind was blown. The sports world is going crazy at the moment. Well first, obviously, you've got the Penn State scandal, then the whole NBA refusing to sign a new contract and then the start of the college basketball season. Not to mention the NFL is in the heart of its season and college football is coming to a close. So, now the question is what do I talk about.

And the decision, is none of the above but instead baseball. More specifically I would like to address this whole Zambrano issue that is happening with the Cubs. It was announced on Tuesday that the crazy, stupid, stuck up, cocky, bad for the clubhouse pitcher would have a chance to return to the Cubs. Wait? Isn't this the same guy who said he was quitting the team after being ejected from an Atlanta game because he was trying to take Chipper Jones' head off? Yes, same guy. For some reason, Theo Epstein, who personally am extremely excited about, said he has a chance of coming back.

No. This is a bad, bad idea. Zambrano's time with the Cubs has come and gone. He needs to go, like right now. To be honest, I was a huge Big Z fan. After that whole altercation with Derrick Lee in the dugout, I thought he was a changed man. Of course, every spring training he says his anger management is good and he will no longer trow fits on the mound or the clubhouse. Like that actually would happen.

Now, I'm not in the meeting where Zambrano and Epstein talk but I don't know what Zambrano said that convinced the organization to keep him. Personally, it might just be time for a change. I mean the guy has been on the Cubs since 2001. That is 10 seasons and a lot of headaches. Even though the pitcher, surprisingly, does have a winning record with the Cubs, it's time to turn over a new leaf. Let the guy go. He'll be able to find a new team quickly but he is like a Milton Bradley, just bad for the environment. With this new organization I think it's time to start fresh and that means getting rid of bad ju-ju Carlos Zambrano.

With that I give you some side notes.
1. Congrats, as hard as it is for me to say, to Coach K on getting his 903rd win and the most winningest coach in college basketball history. Although I hate Duke, I mean who doesn't, that is one heck of an achievement.
2. Raise your hand if you're sick of hearing about Penn State! (I'm raising my hand). I know this is a huge controversy and what not but I'm kind of tired of hearing about it. Even People Magazine has a story about it in their latest magazine (note: It is the sexiest man issue and Bradley Cooper won, a little upset about this but what can you do). Coverage has slowed down a little bit but I'm sure we'll be hearing about this one for a long time.
3. What did I tell you earlier this season about the Bears? Yes, they have had their troubles but look at that convincing win on Sunday against the Lions that they are for real. And now in the hunt for a wildcard spot, which I already said was going to happen (no one can beat those pesty Packers.) So here is to hoping they can continue their success through their last seven games.

With that I say... Live long and Prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment