Friday, July 22, 2011

Wishing I was a Gilmore

Lorelai: Kirk asked me out.
Rory: Shut up!
Lorelai: Yesterday.
Rory: That's so sweet!
Lorelai: Rory!
Rory: What are you gonna wear? Ooh, you should wear your dress with the ponies on it, I bet he likes ponies.
Lorelai: You're not serious.
Rory: I bet you'll have a good time.
Lorelai: "Hello, headmaster Charleston, this is my stepdad, Kirk. Try not to make any sudden movements, he's a fear biter!"
Rory: OK, so how are you gonna let him down?

It has been a sad four years since Gilmore Girls said their goodbyes to the loyal fans. The seventh and final season was the only one I watched live and even thought it got many bad reviews, I still enjoyed it until we last saw Lorelai and Rory eating at Luke's Diner. I was personally incredibly satisfied with how the series ended and loved the last scene. The reason I reminisce about one of the funniest television shows, I think, in the last 10 years is because I have watched the first two seasons over again in the last week or so. It proves that watching reruns is just as fun as watching the show for the first time. I totally forgot how witty, fast talking and great the plot stories were to this show, especially in the early years. I wanted to talk about this fantastic show because I feel like some people have maybe forgotten about it or maybe they have never seen it. If this is the case, you must! Even if you don't like it the first time. To be honest it takes a couple episodes to get into and then it's just hilarious.

I would like to first declare I wish I could take as fast as they do on this show. I also wish I had such quick witty responses to everyday conversation but alas, I unfortunately don't have brilliant writers scripting my life. I love the dynamic of Lorelai and Rory. They are best friends but also mother/daughter at least once in the show. Whether that be discussing Lorelai's parents, Rory's relationships or college applications. They also have lots of fun (note pretty much all scenes at Luke's) and have great interactions (see the quote above). It is also how Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel deliver their lines. The plot is always great and unpredictable (for the most part) which helps keep the show very interesting and easy to want to watch the next episode.

This is the part where I wish very deeply they make a movie from the show. Now they are running out of town but they have like the perfect premise. When Rory left, she had a job for then Senator Barack Obama. How perfect would that be to make a movie out of. What has happened the last four years, on his political campaign with Gilmore's being the core. We could finally see Lorelai and Luke married. Maybe see a new boyfriend for Rory. It would be a huge success and I hope in my heart that the actors would be willing to do it. I understand they are both doing different things (although I will note Bledel has yet have a good movie since Traveling Pants). Lauren Graham has Parenthood, but we know that is kind of hanging on its last thread, even though she is very funny in it, she will always be Lorelai. I for one would love a movie and I know many fans would be in line to watch the next chapter of the Gilmore clan.

With that I will give you some exciting side notes, especially with Comic-Con going on right now.
1. Can you wait for Dexter season six after this teaser trailer? Cause I know I can't. This looks like an awesome season with a cool focus and great guest actors. I'm looking forward to Colin Hanks (Tom Hanks' son) as I believe some sort of religious man. I loved him in Mad Men and excited to see what he brings to Dexter.
2. This breaks my heart, but it will always remain my favorite television show ever: Lost had a panel at Comic-Con called "Totally Lost: One Year Later." The one year later part is just so depressing because it was such a revelation show but nonetheless had to end. Just wanted to point it out because I can't believe it has already been a year since Lost ended. So sad.
3. It would seem wrong for me not to at least mention So You Think You Can Dance as we enter the Top 8 next week. I'd like now predict the final two girls and final two boys. It will be Melanie and Sasha for the girls, Marko and Jess (despite the fact he can't do a lift). The girls are without question, I would say Caitlin has a chance but Jordan is the next one out. For the guys Ricky seems to get in the bottom 3 too much and I just don't really like Tadd, though he has a chance. Plus I love Jess (but not the one from Gilmore Girls).

With that I say... Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment