Friday, July 8, 2011

Liz Lemon would like these shows

The many sayings of Liz Lemon: "Blurg" "What the What?!" "I want to go to there" "Nerds!" but the best, funniest moment for me was this, and it can't be written down only watched right here and this one is pretty good too.

So why do I bring up these quotes? Is it that time for me to talk about my obsession with Tina Fey? No, not yet anyway. I would say there is roughly about a month left before people freak out that they have to go back to school  and are busy frantically packing or buying school supplies. This means there is plenty time for you to catch up or start a new show for when they all come back in September.  I know I mentioned a few in my blog last week but I felt it necessary to give you a few more in further detail. Even some that are no longer running.

The first show I strongly recommend is one I had the privilege of watching during winter break last year: 30 Rock. The quotes and clips above are for you to realize you must watch this show because it's brilliant. If you only watched the first season and stopped, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! I don't say this just because I have a strange obsession with the great Tina Fey (speaking of, if you prefer to read than watch TV, then please buy her book. It is worth every penny). I recommend this sitcom that began in 2006 because it 1) is really easy to get into because they are only 22 minute episodes and 2) because it is a put you in a good mood, hilariously acted and cleverly written type of show that everyone should watch. I promise you will fly through each episode, each packed with great guest stars such as Oprah (I mean come on!), Jennifer Aniston, Matt Damon, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett and Steve Martin to name a few. If Tina Fey isn't enough for you to: buy the seasons, rent them from the library, borrow from me or watch on NetFlix then the fact that Alec Baldwin has won 3 Golden Globes and 2 Emmy's for his role as Jack Donaghy should explain my case. Not to mention it won the Emmy for Best Comedy 3 years in a row. Essentially what all this means is watch the first season, you will not regret it.

Now to the bizillion other shows you could watch. I'm not going to summarize them for you cause you can read that anywhere else on the Internet. But what I am going to do is give you the main reason why you should watch each show I mention.

Parks and Recreation: I mentioned this last week but seriously one of the best comedy's on TV right now. The first season is very Office-like, get past that. Season 2 is where they really find their stride and identity for the characters. Leslie Knope is just as funny as Michael Scott but not as painful to watch, not to mention Amy Poehler is absolutely hilarious.
The Good Wife: If you're looking for something more serious, check out this drama that is by far the best lawyer show on TV. It has the aspect of law and crime work but not like SVU or NCIS. There is actually a storyline you have to keep up with and a unique one at that. Probably my favorite drama on television right now.
Fringe: If you liked Super 8, Lost, or anything that J.J. Abrams has done you must watch this show. It's so interesting and different but it is Sci-Fi. So I'm guessing if you don't like that kind of style you won't like this show but you could still like it even if that's so. It is so funny and the three main actors: Joshua Jackson (Mighty Ducks, Dawson's Creek), John Noble (LOTR: The Return of the King) and Anna Torv (I don't know anything she's in but she's Australian and does a great American accent, plus she's bad ass), are amazing! The writers have such great character development that the actual plot/crime isn't what is important as what's actually happening in their personal lives. Probably the most creative and well written shows on TV.



Speaking of Lost, here are some shows that have run their course and are no longer on TV but still fantastic.
Lost: All six seasons are remarkable. The show does have its slow points in season 3 and 4 but the last two are ones you will fly through because they all end with a cliff hanger. I know this show got a lot of hype, especially in the last season, but it was all totally deserved. I think probably the best show ever written in the past decade. You can pretty much find the episodes any where (Netflix) and you'll find yourself done with all 6 a lot quicker than expected.
Friday Night Lights: This is a show I recently got into and finished earlier this summer. It totally caught me off guard and turned out to be quite an addiction (shout out to Finks for making me watch it). Now I realize there is sports but that is certainly not the focus of the show, just kind of a moving force. The real quality is in the characters especially Coach Taylor and his wife and family. They are at the core of the show, and their performance is nothing short of Emmy quality. The final season already aired on DirecTV but NBC is airing it now this summer. You can catch all of them on Netflix, so get on that.
Charmed: Go ahead, laugh, make fun of me, maybe some of you will even lose your respect in my advice but this is the first ever show I got into. I watched the first 3 seasons religiously with my sister and I must say they are a guilty pleasure. Everything went downhill after Pru left so I would recommend the first 3 seasons, but actually 4 isn't that bad. Remarkably Charmed was on for 8 seasons and it used to air on TNT like all the time which was great cause I watched them after school. I kind of forgot about this show until I saw an episode on some random channel this summer and totally forgot how good it was. So if you're looking for something to get addicted to, that's just fun and different check this out.

I hope I didn't lose too many of you through all of that but totally recommend all of those shows, very entertaining. You also can't go wrong with Gilmore Girls, Dexter, Nurse Jackie, Sex and the City, Community, Grey's Anatomy or Mad Men. With that I give you some side notes.
1. Oh man my love for Melanie and Marko on So You Think You Can Dance is becoming obsessive. Everything they have done is amazing. So just for people who don't understand why I love them I give clips of their dances from week 1, week 2, week 3 and week 4. Feel free to fastforward through the beginning stuff and get to the dancing. I am also not sad about Chris and Ashley going home this week.
2. I know all you House fans are sad about Lisa Edelstein leaving the show, but she has a new gig on The Good Wife. And to that I say Woo! Her character is going to stir up the pot between Alicia and Will which I must say I'm totally looking forward to.
3. Soap operas may not be gone as soon as we thought after ABC announced that episodes will be moved to the Web. Not much information was released but I know everyone that went to college with my Mom is jumping up and down. I just don't get the fascination of soap operas, it may have to do with the horrible acting. But hey, what can you do.


With that I say... Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment