Sunday, September 1, 2013

I'm back, bitch!

The title of this post is not meant to use profanity in a negative way, but instead quote my new favorite show I got into just at the right time... "Breaking Bad." That's right, I've finally jumped on the bandwagon and caught up a week before the first of the final eight episodes aired. But before I get too much into that I want to first apologize for my lack of posting. The blog returned earlier this summer with an idea I had while driving the hour from work as writing down the conversations I had with myself. Unfortunately, I figured out commuting's unwritten secret: audiobooks.

That's right, I listened to Tina Fey's "Bossypants," "Prisoner of Azkaban," "Goblet of Fire," "Half-Blood Prince" and "Deathly Hallows" for the remainder of my very long commute from the city. Which, allowed me a chance, not to think, but to listen to some of the greatest words ever written (if you're wondering why I didn't listen to all of the Harry Potter books, and why not the fifth one, it's because I had a very thought provoking process where I listened to the ones I owned).

Alas, the books and my weird hours kept me from posting. But now, I have no excuse. I am no longer in school. I don't have an extra long commute, though I am still working nights, giving me another reason to bow down to whoever invented DVR. And as it is now officially Sept. 1 and basically the fall, it means all of our favorite things are back. TV, Oscar contending movies and college football.

OK, enough with this chatter! Time to catch you up on five things I've been dying to write about. Sit back, relax and get ready for the return of Sammie Kiesel, bitch!

1. "Breaking Bad" is on track to close out its series with the best eight episodes ever. If you haven't watched this show, or tried but stopped, try again. The series is a slow burn, but the past three weeks are making my time binge watching totally worth it. "Dexter" is killing me with its final season. It's enjoyable, it's typical Dex being Dex, but it is not giving me this is the end kind of vibe. Walter White, on the other hand, is laying all of his chips on the table and the audience is loving every minute of it. Expectations keeping getting higher and met, week by week.

2. Tina has had a productive summer. Who said Tina Fey needs a break. The girl has already filmed at least two movies and developed two TV shows (both of which have already been picked up - one by Fox the other by NBC). Not to mention, she killed it (per usual) on Letterman last week. And on top of it all, there are rumors that her and Amy Poehler have been asked back to host the Globes. You know I'm a real happy camper right now.

3. OK, I've been really bad this summer about getting to the movies, but there are a couple I am going to make an effort to see, and so should you. "The Way, Way Back" got great reviews, not an Oscar contender, but definitely something you should all rent. It's Steve Carell being an ass and Sam Rockwell getting very early Oscar backup (but I'm calling that super doubtful at this point). The other is "The Spectacular Now," which has been deemed the first real coming of age film since John Hughes made them all back in the 80s. It stars one of the biggest actresses right now, Shailene Woodley, and I have only read positive things. I just opened worldwide this weekend. The last one is "The Butler," which actually has a longer name but I'm lazy. It got mixed reviews but is still an Oscar contender at this point. I mainly want to see it for all the famous people playing presidents (Alan Rickman, James Marsden, Robin Williams!)

4. You all need to read "Divergent" before the movie comes out. Yes, this is the series you've sort of heard about as being the next "Hunger Games" and yes it does star that aforementioned hot actress at the moment. I read these a while ago, but have yet to discuss them with you. With the movie coming out next year, and the third and final book in October, I highly recommend them. If you need some insentive to read it, here is a featurette on the film. I'm not sure if they are "Hunger Games" stature but they're a fun, a quick read. Plus you can decide who you hate most, Katniss or Tris. Girl power!

5. Finally, the upcoming year of television is going to be real interesting. Shows I have been watching for years are leaving me forever. HIMYM ends this season. "Dexter" ends Sept. 22. "Mad Men" begins shooting its final season in November. I've already lost "30 Rock" and "Fringe." Rumors are "True Blood" may have its final season next summer. And finally, Sandra Oh is leaving "Grey's Anatomy" after this 10th season. I'm getting worried. But fear not! There are always new things in the works.  CBS is airing a show called "Hostages" staring Toni Collette, which will air all 15-episodes in one swoop (the future is unknown). Robin Williams and Michel J. Fox make their television return in "The Crazy Ones," and "The Michael J. Fox Show," respectively. J.J. Abrams is back with another produced sci-fi show called "Almost Human." Joss Whedon is helping bring the Avengers to television in "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D," with the "Avengers" director filming the pilot. And the one deemed as the most likely best new drama is NBC's "The Blacklist" starring James Spader as one of the most wanted men in the world turning himself in to catch other bad guys. All of these, plus a a few more, I'm going to check out when most shows return the week of Sept. 23. Look here in the future for what shows you should be watching.

Hopefully, you all are excited to see me back. Hopefully, I'll be on top of my stuff (I mean, I don't really have many friends in the real world so what else will I do with my life) and keep you updated to all the things entertainment, and sports.

With that I say... Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment