Monday, June 17, 2013

Conversations with myself: Week 2 and 3

Another two weeks have gone by meaning so much more time for me to think. I have spent more time in my head in a quiet space than I think I have my whole life. This week there are many varied topics, the biggest, I'm realizing, is my fascination with transportation.

However, the topic I thought most about these last two weeks is my screenplay/TV pilot/fictional novel/memoir/historical novel. That's right, I was trying to decide which one I should tackle first and which one I have the better idea for. Obviously my memoir is down the road, considering all I have to put in it is I had the most boring upbringing ever. I think I'm leaning toward the TV pilot, which I have been joking for the last year that it will be my life when I don't have a job at the end of this summer. I'm calling copyright on both of these ideas, one of which is about a college newspaper (duh) and the second about a girl returning home after college to live with her parents (a little boring, but it's all about the characters!)

While thinking of my television show I also contemplated what it would be like to write a novel. Like a realistic fiction, or a fantasy or historical fiction. How do authors get these ideas? For J.K. Rowling it was while on a train, for Stephenie Meyer it was from a dream, for Suzanne Collins it was while watching TV. So, my point is, maybe by the end of the summer, while driving in my car all the time, I'll think of the next brilliant novel that will eventually get turned into a movie. It could happen, right?

And now, here are the other conversations I've had with myself, these ones are a little bit longer since I've thought about them for two weeks.

 1. The biggest thing I've discovered while driving the highway twice a day for more than two hours is there are so many bad drivers out there. Like, awful. I can't decide what makes me more upset, someone driving incredibly slow in the left lane or someone on my cars butt when I'm not the one driving slow. I think maybe the latter.

2. Despite the shitty drivers, cars are really cool. If you think about it, its just a giant machine that allows you to travel many miles in a short amount of time. We complain about traffic, but it's pretty amazing how quickly we can travel places these days.

3. But we complain anyways, because we're human, and traffic in Chicago is so annoying. Maybe one of the worst things ever. The amount of times I've starred at this billboard is eventually going to drive me insane (get the pun, drive. I'm hilarious). 

4. Traffic also allows me to recognize how many ugly cars there. Yes, they're really cool, but really Honda, that new SUV is so, so ugly. There are an insane amount of car types and companies and you design probably the ugliest car I've ever seen. Pick up your act Honda, you're better than this. It looks like this Acura (who is owned by Honda). (Note: I apologize if any of you own this car.)

5. Who would of thought we'd still be using trains? Do you think all those people in like the 1900s would think in the 21st century trains would still be relevant? Did they think cars were going to change the way we travel? I mean it does, but trains are so awesome. My preferred way of travel.

6. Theater tickets in Chicago and New York are insane. During the Tony's they said how theater struggled this year. Well, maybe you should price the tickets lower. All I want to do is see Book of Mormon but dang, it's so much money. Lower your freaking prices and I'll come. It's like around $100 a ticket. I don't have that kind of money. And New York is even crazier. But don't worry, I still love the theater.

7. Spring Awakening is a real depressing musical. Music is great, but still sad. Also, Lea Michelle and Jonathan Groff (Rachel and Jesse from "Glee") were in the original production. So, if you listen to the original soundtrack you actually discover they can sing! For some reason, that makes me feel much better about the fact they are on "Glee" because at least they can sing. I've recently rediscovered the album and forgot how good the music is. (Note: The Tony awards were last weekend, hence the theater focused thoughts).

8. How do you think Starbucks has still thrived? I bought a coffee the other day and it was like $5. That's like a sandwich. And it was a small coffee. Have you ever seen a Starbucks close? There are like two in a one block radius on Michigan Ave. How do these things never close? Oh yeah, because coffee is like blood for some people, they need it to survive. But come one, $5!

9. Why do people just wear plain white gym shoes if they're not old, a nurse or a doctor? Don't. If you do at this very moment, start a fire, and burn them! Then go buy some cool gym shoes. Call me, I'll help you pick them out.

10. Do you guys think Twitter will survive? Where do we go next after this social media craziness? Oh yeah, Google glasses. Those things freak me out.

11. Have you noticed how much more people are on Facebook during Finals week than any other time during the year? The definition of procrastination.

12. Have you ever thought about how weird language and letters are? That the words we write mean and communicate something? It used to be drawings, but now when I type "boob" you know it means a body part. How strange. As "Mean Girls" said: "I like math" "Eww why?" "Because it's the same in every country." Well said Cady, well said.

13. And then on top of language there is music, a completely different kind of language. When you see a note on five lines you know what note to play. So strange. Who decided all of these things, I ask? But when I do that it takes me back to like why are we here and that's too deep to be thinking in my car while listening to Vampire Weekend.

14. What if we only spoke in music. Like if you didn't sing a sentence then no one would know what you were saying. Oh, well I guess they kind of do that in Les Mis and it's annoying as heck. So, no, let's not do that. Plus I'm tone deaf so no one would ever want to talk to me.

15. Weddings are strange, too. They're weird. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome. But you spend all this time, like over a year, to plan one day. One. Day. When do you ever plan that long for one day? Never. Maybe that's why it's OK for people to plan weddings because you "never" get to do that again. Of course, in this countries divorce population, people might be doing it more than once.

16. I just thought of this one, but thought I'd include it. Whoever invented the peanut butter and jelly sandwich is my personal hero. It's currently my lunch, and what a great sandwich. Probably the best duo in the whole world. I would say it could even rival peanut butter and chocolate. PB&J FOR LIFE!

All right, that's all I got for now. Great thoughts though, right? Clearly you're all wishing you were in the car with me while I drove to work.

With that I say... Live long and prosper.


No comments:

Post a Comment