Saturday, January 30, 2016

The resurgence of the CW

I may have write this because it feels wrong if I don't. I watch a lot of television shows on the CW. That's right, I actually watch five shows on the CW. FIVE. That ties the network that I watch the most with a depressingly CBS. I always thought I was more of an ABC, NBC watcher. Nope, guess not.

I'm watching new shows "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" and "Legends of Tomorrow." Two shows I have surprisingly unabashedly enjoyed thoroughly. And then I watch the successful "Arrow," "Flash," and "Jane the Virgin." They're all a little cheesy, they're all very unrealistic (considering three are superhero shows) and they're all very well cast, well written and well, pretty creative. Granted, the three superhero shows are not originals, they are a breath of fresh air from the superheroes in the movies.

Green Arrow, Flash and all the Legends have many flaws, many (nonstereotypical) battles with their abilities. I will saw they first two have had their issues, they've had their bad episodes but I cannot deny that I look forward to watching the moment I get home from work.

The more surprising shows that I like are the two female leads. When I first heard the title of "Jane the Virgin" I was convinced it would be the first canceled show of the 2014 season. Instead, Gina Rodriguez ended up winning the Golden Globe for the first half of the first season. After that I was immediately alerted to the creative, soft and funny show that was on this network that I used to be ashamed to say I watched ("Gilmore Girls" being the only saving Grace). Once the show came up on Netflix this fall I decided I had to find out what all the fuss was about.

To say I was hooked is an understatement. Despite the unrealistic premise it was a fun watch. It was a show that was original and had a very likable lead character who had flaws. However, it wasn't the shows I had been increasingly seeing; the shows trying to be the next "Breaking Bad." It's refreshing to watch a show that has heart and is actually happy for the most part.

"Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" is rather similar except for the fact that when I saw the first trailer I knew I wanted to watch it. I can't say it enough other than the CW is putting together some of the most creative, original shows on TV; at least on broadcast TV. I keep using the words original and creative but that's because this fall TV season was full of the same formula shows. Some sort of strange, different premise but then a procedural that involved a cop and a regular Joe helping the police. It was like everyone was trying to remake "Castle." You have that with the "Blindspot," "Minority Report," "Limitless," "Rosewood," "Lucifer," "The Player," and you have it with established shows like "Person of Interest," "Blacklist."

Don't get me wrong, I watch and enjoy some of those shows listed above ("Blacklist," "Limitless"), but it can be a tiring premise. That's why the CW's lineup is just so great. It has some shows that have an established fan base with the superheroes, but they also have the shows that are utterly just different; just like "Gilmore Girls," was in the 2000s.

With the Netflix revival of "Gilmore Girls" officially announced now, I felt compelled to discuss the fact that the CW (formerly called the WB when GG was on) has had continued success with shows like GG. A rather simple premise that have complicated storylines and character development that keeps you coming back each week. So kudos to the risks they have taken in the last couple of years; the CW is turning around and shouldn't be thought of as the crappy network it once was when shows like "Vampire Diaries," and "One Tree Hill," had on it.

If you haven't yet, try one of the CW shows out, they may surprise you.

Until next time, live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment