Thursday, July 5, 2012

Animation is here to stay

I, along with my 21-year-old friend attended an animated movie this past weekend. Sound pathetic? No, absolutely not. Why? Because the movie was made by Pixar. Yep, I saw Brave and was not at all disappointed, as I thought I might be, by briefly looking at some of the reviews. I mean, don't get me wrong, the reviews were all good, but just not Pixar good. Actually, it's pretty unbelievable how Pixar has revolutionized the animated movie. I'm not just talking in terms of how it looks and the technology used, but the actual story telling.

First let's talk about this whole animated movie thing before I tell you what I thought of Brave. There are clear animated movies that as a 20-year-old, I wouldn't really want to see. For example, any of the Ice Age movies or even the Madagascar movies. I might rent them at some point, but really they are not on the top of my must-see-list. Now, when it comes to Pixar movies, I am anticipating those like three years in advanced. I started looking forward to the Monster's Inc. prequel last year (now called Monsters University), and it doesn't even come out until next summer. Pixar's ability to find a story that is not told very often in an incredibly unique way, is something that rarely happens. Seriously, think about it. A rat, who wants to cook. An old man who flies a house. A legendary tale about monsters in your closet turned into a whole new world. And Brave is not much different. 

It was interesting, I was talking to my friend about all of the upcoming animated movies and actually how original they are becoming. It seems like all the other production company's are starting to catch on. For example, Rise of the Guardians is a film DreamWorks is producing about every fairy tale creature (Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, The Sandman and the Tooth Fairy). Watch the trailer and you'll see what I'm talking about. Animated movies are becoming more about fun stories that everyone can enjoy than just about movies for little kids. Or, that is at least my belief. I think this certainly started with Shrek, but for some reason I feel like people my age are still seeing these movies. Maybe it's just the generation we grew up in, but I believe animated movies are only going to get better and more creative. 

All right, now that I'm off that soap box, let me tell you to go see Brave. Totally worth it. I purposely didn't read anything about the plot and I have to say the trailers didn't give much away and I am so glad they didn't. Mostly everything in the trailer is in the first 20 minutes of the movie, so you're not really sure where it is headed from that point on. There is no question, this is a very different movie for Pixar. It has magic, witches, with kings and queens. I don't want to give too much about the plot because I loved not knowing but it tells a story that, I believe, is not told very darn often. It is a very moving story and the voices are fan-freaking-tastic. An Oscar category should certainly start up because of this movie (and Jack Black's Po from Kung Fu Panda). It's a shame these voice actors do not get recognized. Two thumbs up for Emma Thompson and her scottish accent because it took me till the credits to realize it was her.

Overall, I wouldn't put it up in my favorite Pixar movies (Ratatouille, Toy Story) but it certainly deserves to be in the Pixar family (I do not like Cars does, but that's just me). I will say, I am pumped for the upcoming films they have planned. I mean look at all of them! Anyways, I will say that DreamWorks is starting to make a push at Pixar. But from what I can see, I don't know if anyone will be able to reach the pedestal most people put the brilliant production company on.

With that I have a few random side notes that are important. 
1. The Olympics are officially 22 days away. Watching all these darn trials last weekend only got me way too excited for the epic event in London. Of course, now I have to wait three weeks till I see them again but we all know it's worth the wait. Also, I got word, and by that I read that the Dan Radcliffe and Emma Watson are saying a message at the closing ceremonies, which is just an added bonus.
2. New book cover!! The most anticipated book of the year came out with it's cover. That's right, J.K. Rowling's first book for adults, Casual Vacancy, came out yesterday and personally I think it looks classy, simple and intriguing. Have you pre-ordered your copy yet?
3. Even though 30 Rock is ending this season, Tina has a new movie coming out in 2013. She is currently filming in Princeton, New Jersey. And even though my mom wouldn't let me go there to try and creep the filming, a lot of photos have been released. Check out this one, and might as well do this one too. It's for her film called Admission, with Paul Rudd and Michael Sheen. Get pumped.

With that I say... Live long and prosper. 

1 comment:

  1. Mom didn't want to pay airfare to creep on a celebrity! Wait until you live near her!

    ReplyDelete