Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Why you need to watch this show

As you all know, I watch a lot of television. If you didn't know that then go back a few blogs and you'll figure out that I have quite a few TV shows (I think I'm at 15 right now). I like to consider myself as someone who watches quality programing by only watching one reality show and nothing on CW or ABC Family (not that I'm judging the people who do, it's just not my cup of tea.) I am also a big fan of encouraging people to watch certain shows, most recently Revenge or Homeland. I've tried to get people into Dexter or Mad Men along with several other shows. But now, the time has come where there is one show that the entire world needs to watch.

It might be hard because it is on HBO but I suggest you all need to find it somewhere, whether it means you buy HBO or get it illegally. The situation is that serious. It is easily the best show on television but more importantly, I have never been more entertained since Lost. The amount characters might be confusing, the names might be hard to say but that should be no reason for you to not watch Game of Thrones.

That's right folks, I am telling you to watch a high fantasy show with dragons, sword fighting and magic. However, the show is so much more than that at its core. It deals with topics from the desire of power and who earns it, to family drama. It's about being accepted as a person and finding how you fit in. The most recent season, which ended Sunday, focused on what it means to have power. More so than anything, though, it is the characters that drive this story full steam ahead, it is the characters who have you coming back each week and it is the actors performances that make you smile, cringe and have you wanting to throw the remote at the TV.

Some of this fantasy may sound familiar and in the same realm as Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, but Game of Thrones is much different. It's mature, much more mature than Harry Potter (I mean it deals with incest on a daily basis) and it is more modern than LOTR. By modern I mean it's a little more relatable in the sense that the major plot lines are about war instead of a magical ring. There is of course fantasy aspects to it (I mean it raises questions like, how can a woman birth a shadowy thing or another woman birth dragons) but that just factors in the entertainment element.

I have yet to meet anyone who has attempted watching the show and did not like it. The fact that it's a TV show is remarkable because it must cost a fortune. If you were to turn it on just on a whim, not knowing what it was, you would think it was a film production. The sets, the costumes, the lighting, the amount of people, it is incredible. Granted, it is on HBO, but still, one of the most quality shows I have seen in a long time. And if it does not win the Emmy this year for best drama, it will be an outrage.

There is of course Mad Men to consider. The quality of that show has rarely faltered in its five seasons and the production value is also high. But, what I think is different between the two, is Game of Thrones tackled about 45 subplots and made me interested in every single one. It made me yearn for just a glimpse of a conversation between Arya and Tywin or a scene where Tyrion outsmarts someone. I can't say the same for Mad Men. Anytime Betty comes on screen I sigh, hoping it won't last too long.

My point is, you're not doing anything important this summer until you watch Game of Thrones. It received its season 3 renewal just two episodes into season 2 and the season 2 finale had 4.2 million viewers, the most for the series and a 1.2 million increase from the season 1 finale. Hence, the show is only growing, meaning if you don't start watching this show soon, you'll be out of the loop. So get at it.

With that I give you some random side notes:
1. Emma Watson is no longer Hermione. A trailer for her first starring film since Harry Potter was released this week and looks awesome. She is equipped with her short hair and an American accent starring alongside Logan Lerman and Ezra Miller. It looks so good, I think I would want to see it even if Emma wasn't in it ... hmm maybe not.
2. Uh, did anyone else watch Mad Men from Sunday? Pretty crazy if you ask me, that scene with Lane was one of the most disturbing I've ever witnessed on TV. Finale happens Sunday along with the premiere of True Blood. Get excited for the return of vampires, because the promos look amazing and I can't wait to see what is in store this season.
3. If you haven't heard, another member of the SNL cast has left, leaving many, or me, skeptical about its return in the fall. That's right, Andy Sandberg announced last week he is joining Kristen Wiig and not returning next season. It's another one of those "how will they be able to survive next season?" that everyone said when Will Ferrell left, when Jimmy Fallon left, when Tina Fey left, and when Amy Poehler left (and a lot more people). But the show survived back then, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the fall.

With that I say... Live long and prosper.


No comments:

Post a Comment